Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Beatrice Orsot

A Student Remembers...


Palmer Graduates, 1943
Palmer Graduates Class of 1943: Beatrice Orsot (L) and Nanny Gary (R)
http://www.nchistoricsites.org/chb/orsot.htm

Kimball Hall - PMI
Kimball Hall. The graduating class of 1943. The students are arrayed in PMI's "Triangle of Achievement."

"I called Dr. Brown 'Aunt Lottie' because she was a family friend who visited us often, as did many other African American personalities, i.e., Congressman Adam Clayton Powell and his wife, Hazel Scott, Mary McCleod Bethune, and Langston Hughes, to name only a few.
Dr. Brown's...
strict discipline, emphasis on honor, humility, honesty in our speech and in our hearts, compassion and forgiveness; making your life a cause that is worth living, defending and dying for; assuming nothing and never knowingly accusing anyone falsely; do not steal or use anyone for selfish advantage; and defend the rights of all American citizens
...were only a few of the "social graces" that went far beyond etiquette and proper table manners.
Dr. Brown had a powerful influence on my life. She taught me to THINK light-years beyond "me" and "mine," and to concentrate on the greatest good for the greatest number, the big picture that the all-knowing one, God Almighty has designed for all of His creation.
Dr. Brown was a strict disciplinarian, as am I, in her pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness for all peoples of the world. If you truly listened with all your heart, mind, soul, and might, you got the message!
How well I remember her words of wisdom, among many, as they appeared on the walls of our administration building and in the house I shared with her:
"Think"
I must sing my song. There may be other songs more beautiful than mine, but I must sing the song God gave me to sing, and I must sing it until death.
Seventy-three years ago, I was born with a song in my heart that God gave me to sing. It's all about the teachings of Jesus and all the precious jewels that Dr. Brown instilled in my mind, heart, and soul. Few have listened and few have heard. And when my own refuse to sing along with me, whomever they may be, I don't forsake the goal!"
- Beatrice Alethia OrsotHistorical Document © 2000.
Ms. Orsot graduated from PMI in 1943 and is pictured in the photograph above, holding the sign, on the left as you view the image. (See also Campus Views).
Ms. Orsot's father, Antonio Orsot-a 1911 graduate of Tuskegee University-was College Architect at Savannah State College, where Dr. Brown often visited.
A survivor of the Jonestown tragedy, Ms. Orsot makes her home in California.



http://www.meetup.com/members/14355752/



http://stevenwarranresearch.blogspot.com/2013/10/stephanie-lynn-jones.html



No comments:

Post a Comment